Should I Replace My Home’s Windows and Doors Before Listing It for Sale?
By: Architectural Visions
Spring is a popular time to put a home on the market, and it’s wise to assess what to do before selling your house, such as replacing the windows before listing the house. However, if you wonder if it is worth replacing windows before selling a house, consider various scenarios. If you’re on the fence about investing in new windows and doors before you list your home for sale, read on to determine if it is worth investing in new windows and doors before the for-sale sign goes up in your yard.
- If your windows are inoperable or aren’t energy efficient, replacing the windows can help improve a home’s appeal and result in a faster sale.
- If you list your home without replacing the windows, you may face challenges during the negotiations. Buyers may request repairs to the windows before closing, which lets you decide what type of windows to install. Or, the buyers may request a credit for new windows.
- Replacing the windows before listing your house may mean an increased chance of a buyer submitting an offer that is the full asking price.
- Energy-efficient windows can offer homeowners benefits from 2022 and beyond.
When to replace windows
It can be challenging to determine what repairs to do before selling a house. If your windows are inoperable or aren’t energy efficient, replacing the windows can help improve its appeal and result in a faster sale. A National Association of Home Builders survey found that energy-efficient windows are ranked desirable by 90% of home buyers, so replacing the windows may be a wise investment. However, if you want to replace windows before selling the house simply for a cosmetic fix, you may want to reconsider.
Below are the top reasons to replace the windows before listing your house:
- Existing windows are inoperable: Broken glass, latches, locks, or springs are all top reasons to replace the windows. An inspector may flag these issues, which can hinder the sale, so replacing the windows could result in a smoother sale.
- Existing windows are drafty: Drafty windows usually mean the windows are old and not energy efficient. Replacing the windows will offer functional and aesthetic benefits.
- Existing windows are inefficient: Since older windows don’t block as many UV rays, they can let the heat through, resulting in higher heating bills.
What happens if you don’t replace the windows?
You can always list your home without replacing the windows. However, you may run into challenges during the negotiations. Buyers may request repairs to the windows before closing, which lets you decide what type of windows to install. Or, the buyers may request a credit for new windows. This option may end up being more costly, as the buyer may ask for a more expensive option than what you would have chosen.
What benefits do new windows offer?
Replacing the windows before listing your house may mean an increased chance of a buyer submitting an offer that is the full asking price — or above — depending on your local market.
Below are several benefits of installing new windows:
- New windows will appeal to buyers looking for a move-in-ready home. This makes the moving process less stressful for the buyer, making it more likely they will submit an offer.
- New energy-efficient windows mean lower heating and cooling costs, which is a selling point that offers a long-term benefit to buyers. Many savvy buyers will look for energy efficient windows during their home search.
- New windows can help reduce outside noise, which is helpful if your house is on a busy street or near the train tracks.
What types of windows are helping homes to sell best in 2022?
Energy-efficient windows offer the greatest long-term benefits for the value of a home, keep the house more comfortable during winter and summer months, and reduce the ongoing heating and cooling bills.
AVI Windows & Doors
Turn to a professional to help select and install new windows by contacting the experts at AVI. AVI is your one-stop-shop for installing new windows with in-person and online service options. Please don’t hesitate to contact us online or come by one of our Southeast locations and let us help you!