Sidelight Windows: Benefits and Design Ideas
By: Architectural Visions
Sidelight windows bring many functional and design benefits to a home. They can improve the overall aesthetics of a home’s interior and exterior and bring in plenty of natural light. If you’re considering installing sidelight windows in your home, read more about the benefits and design ideas.
Key takeaways for sidelight windows:
- Sidelight windows are vertical, narrow windows that frame a door, either on one side or both sides of a door.
- Sidelight windows allow more sunlight to shine through the home and provide additional views of the outdoor scenery. The increased natural light can also lower your energy use.
- Sidelights can improve a home’s overall façade and aesthetics by creating a larger footprint for the front door, an overall grander appearance and making the home feel more proportional.
- To allow fresh air to come in, you can select operational sidelights instead of stationary sidelights.
- Installing frosted or stained glass, blinds, shutters, or curtains made specifically for the windows’ narrow, vertical shape can add additional layers of privacy to the sidelight windows.
What is a sidelight window?
Sidelight windows are vertical windows that frame a door. They are narrow and can be located on both sides of the door, or only on one side of a door. While sidelights can be installed individually, they are often built into the door frame. Sidelights are typically stationary windows, meaning they don’t open or close. However, it’s also possible to install sidelights that are operational.
Benefits of sidelight windows
Sidelight windows bring many benefits to a home. Below are some of the most common functional and aesthetic benefits.
Bring the outdoors in
Installing sidelight windows is a way to bring the outdoors into your home. They allow more sunlight to shine through the home and provide additional views of the outdoor scenery. Sidelights are an excellent way to bring in more outdoor views and natural light without installing more oversized windows that can compromise privacy.
Adding sidelights to your front door will increase the sunlight that shines through, flooding the area with natural light. The increased natural light can create an airy and bright space that offers mood-boosting benefits and lowers your energy use.
Sidelights can improve a home’s overall façade and aesthetics. For example, they create a larger footprint for the front door, resulting in an overall grander appearance. Sidelights can also help a home feel more proportional by balancing the size of the door in relation to the house’s structure and its architectural details.
While sidelights are traditionally stationary, they do come with the option to be operational. Operational sidelights can allow fresh air to go into the home while also being small enough for safety benefits.
Sidelight windows privacy and safety concerns
As with any window style, sidelight windows increase the opportunities for people to see into your home. To increase the privacy of your sidelight windows, you can install frosted or stained glass window panes. Or, you can install blinds, shutters, or curtains made specifically for sidelight windows’ narrow, vertical shape.
Contact AVI Windows & Doors
Turn to a professional to help you install your sidelight windows by contacting the experts at AVI. AVI is your one-stop shop for all styles of windows and doors, with in-person and online service options. Please don’t hesitate to contact us online or come by one of our Southeast locations and let us help you!