What is a Pivot Door? | AVI Windows & Doors
By: Architectural Visions
A pivot door is a statement piece that creates a dramatic focal point in your home and results in a unique experience when entering and exiting. Functionally, the door swivels in and out as it opens and closes. Whether it’s a front door or a patio door, pivot doors are typically more prominent than the traditional hinged door. If you’re considering installing a pivot door, read on for everything you need to know about this unique type of door.
Key takeaways of pivot doors:
- Pivot doors are often used in contemporary-style homes and are large in scale with vertical hinges on both the top and bottom of the door.
- Pivot doors make a visual statement due to their larger size, the unique way they open and close and the dramatic sound they make upon opening and closing.
- Pivot doors are different from hinged doors, primarily due to the hinge placement. Hinged doors have hinges on one side and pivot doors have hinges on the top and bottom.
- Pivot doors are more prominent, have a more significant visual impact and are often more expensive than hinged doors.
- Hiring a professional to install your pivot door will ensure safety, longevity and offer professional design advice, giving you peace of mind.
Why select a pivot door?
Pivot doors are often used in contemporary-style homes. A pivot door is a large door with vertical hinges on both the top and bottom of the door. The way the hinges are placed lets the door pivot open instead of only opening from one side of the door frame.
Pivot doors make a visual statement due to their larger size and the unique way they open and close. In addition to the visual impact, a pivot door makes a more distinct sound when opening and closing, creating a dramatic auditory effect.
Entering and exiting a home with a pivot door creates a unique experience. In addition to the appearance and sound, even the feeling of a pivot door is unique, especially if the door has one-of-a-kind hardware, such as the door handle.
Pivot doors are an excellent choice if you’re looking to blend the indoors and outdoors. Or, if you need to create a more expansive entryway, a pivot door’s larger size can result in a grander doorway.
Pivot doors vs. hinged doors
Pivot doors differ from hinged doors, primarily due to the hinge placement. Hinged doors have hinges on one side and pivot doors have hinges on the top and bottom. This allows the pivot door to pivot open and closed, as opposed to swinging open and closed. As a result, pivot doors are more prominent, have a more significant visual impact and are often more expensive than hinged doors. Whether you’re installing a pivot or a hinged door, hiring a professional to assist with your design choices and installing the door is essential. A professional installation will ensure safety, longevity and offer professional design advice, giving you peace of mind in your door selection.
AVI Windows & Doors
Turn to a professional to help you install your pivot doors by contacting the experts at AVI. AVI is your one-stop shop for all types of doors, with in-person and online service options. Please don’t hesitate to contact us online or come by one of our Southeast locations and let us help you!