What Makes a Window “High Performance”?
By: Architectural Visions
Replacing your windows or adding new windows is a home improvement project that you may only complete once or twice, so selecting high-performance windows that will last is a wise investment. There are various factors to consider installing high-performance windows, and it’s essential to understand that only some windows are considered high-performance. To learn more, read on for insight into understanding and choosing high-performance windows.
- High-performance windows are designed to make you more comfortable in your home and conserve energy.
- High-performance windows will help you save money on utility costs, are energy-efficient and help you live comfortably at home.
- High-performance windows should be professionally installed to maximize their effectiveness and allow you to get maximum benefits from your windows.
- AVI Windows & Doors is a full-service window supplier that offers professional installation for your high-performance windows.
What Are High-Performance Windows?
High-performance windows are designed to make you more comfortable in your home and conserve energy. These windows are also known as advanced window technology, high-efficiency windows, or enhanced comfort windows. In addition, high-performance windows are known for their energy efficiency, noise reduction, and durability. They help minimize the effects of the sun and keep you cool inside on even the sunniest days.
To be considered high-performance, a window must meet or exceed specific criteria. High-performance windows will have indicators on the window, such as the federal government’s Energy Star label or the National Fenestration Rating Council’s NFRC label.
When you buy windows with these designations, you can be confident you’re getting some essential performance features. Below is a list of features to look for in high-performance windows:
- A reputable brand that is known for making high-performance windows, such as Marvin
- Energy Star rated for high-efficiency
- The number of panes. Tri-pane windows with krypton gas results in an energy-efficient product. Krypton helps control temperature extremes, while three layers of glass saves more energy than just two layers of glass.
- The window material. Window frames made of advanced materials help to reduce air leakage, increasing energy-efficiency. Wood frames are a classic material selection with excellent insulating properties.
- Thermally broken framing
- High-quality finishing
- Durable weather-stripping
- High-quality hardware for window operation
- Low-emissivity (low-E) glass coating helps to reflect sunlight, which can prevent flooring, furniture, and curtains from fading over time due to sunlight coming into the windows.
- Window style that coordinates with the home’s architectural style and can also impact its performance. Some window styles are more efficient and durable than others. For example, casement windows are energy-efficient and are considered high-performance because they have multipoint locks that seal very tightly to keep inside air in and outside air out. This is important on hot days when you’re trying to keep your home cool and also on cold winter days when the heater is on. Double-hung windows are also energy-efficient because of their advanced design improvements and excellent craftsmanship.
- Great customer reviews from other homeowners
High-Performance Window Benefits
You may choose to have high-performance windows installed in your home for many reasons. Here are some of the top benefits of high-performance windows and why you should consider them for your next project.
Save Money on Utility Costs
High-performance windows can reduce your monthly energy bills, reducing overall utility costs. This is because these windows will help your home from becoming too hot or cold, so your HVAC system won’t have to work as hard.
High-performance windows are eco-friendly, designed with energy-efficiency as a top benefit. In addition, they are quality products that will last for decades, reducing the amount of waste associated with more frequently replaced windows.
Better Comfort in the Home
High-performance windows help you live more comfortably at home by regulating the inside temperature. As a result, you’ll feel warmer on cold days and cooler on hot sunny days. High-performance windows also have tight seals to reduce air leakage.
AVI Windows & Doors
High-performance windows should be professionally installed to maximize their effectiveness and allow you to get maximum benefits from your windows. AVI Windows & Doors is a full-service window supplier that offers professional installation for your high-performance windows. This service helps you make the most of your new window purchase and feel confident that you’re getting the best benefits from your selection. You’ll also have peace of mind that the job was done right because we offer a 10-year installation warranty on all our work.
At AVI Windows & Doors, who you choose to install your new windows is just as important as the beautiful windows that you select. AVI is your one-stop shop for high-performance windows, with in-person and online service options. Please don’t hesitate to reach out to us by phone, online, or in person at one of our locations today: