European Style Windows: Bring Your Travels Home
By: Architectural Visions
If you’re looking to bring a classically elegant look to your home’s aesthetic, European style windows may be for you. European style windows, also known as tilt and turn windows, offer function, a beautiful aesthetic, plenty of ventilation and safety features. If you’re considering European style windows, read on to determine if they are the right window style for your home.
Key takeaways of European style windows:
- European style windows tilt open from the top and inwards from hinges at the side.
- When the window is tilted open, it offers ventilation and also rain protection. When the window is in the turn position, it is similar to a casement window, only the glass area opens inward.
- European style windows tilt open from the top, and they offer an elegant aesthetic, plenty of fresh air and natural light due to the large window surface area.
- European style windows come in a range of sizes, colors, finishes, hardware, glass, screens, divided lites, and casing to fully customize it to your preferred design aesthetic.
- European style windows work well in a variety of spaces, particularly small spaces, children’s rooms and areas where you need extra safety measures.
What are European style windows?
European style windows are easy to open, and they open in several ways. They tilt open from the top and inwards from the hinges at the side. When the window is tilted open, it provides plenty of ventilation, while also offering rain protection. When the window is in the turn position, it is similar to a casement window, only the glass area opens inward.
Below are some of the top advantages of European style windows.
- Ample ventilation: The window can be minimally opened in the tilt position and will still let air in. You can control the amount of air that comes in based on how much the window is tilted open.
- Easy to clean: Since European style windows open into the house, cleaning the inside and outside of the windows is easy. This is especially helpful when cleaning upstairs windows.
- Generous views: Because of the expansive window space, European style windows let in plenty of natural light and offer unobstructed views. Selecting a custom-sized window means you have the ability to choose the most surface area for your space.
- Flexibility of use: Since European style windows open from multiple directions, they serve a different purpose with each way they open. Tilting the window from the top offers ventilation, while turning the window in means the window can double as a door.
- Safety features: Even when the window is open, European style windows are safe for children as they tilt open from the top. They are also secure and will prevent intruders from entering the home.
- Weatherproof design: European style windows have a tight seal, which helps prevent rain and snow from entering the top, even when the window is tilted open at the top.
What design aesthetic do European windows offer?
European style windows are functional and classically beautiful and fit in with various design styles. This window style offers an elegant aesthetic, plenty of fresh air and natural light due to the large window surface area. European style windows are not as prevalent as double hung or casement windows, so they add a unique quality to your home’s design.
When you’re considering European style windows for your home, you can select from a range of sizes, colors, finishes, hardware, glass, screens, divided lites, and casing to fully customize it to your preferred design aesthetic.
What spaces are European style windows ideal for?
European style windows are ideal for different types of spaces. They work well in small spaces because they allow you to open the window for ventilation without it taking up too much space.
They also work well in children’s rooms or rooms where safety is essential, as you can open the window for ventilation without the risk of children falling out. European style windows can also be used as an exit route in the event of an emergency. For example, if there is a balcony off the bedroom, a European window can double as a door.
AVI Windows & Doors
Turn to a professional to help you install European style windows by contacting the experts at AVI. AVI is your one-stop shop for all types of windows, with in-person and online service options. Please don’t hesitate to contact us online or come by one of our Southeast locations and let us help you!