Window Shapes For Every Space
By: Architectural Visions
Windows come in many more shapes than the standard square and rectangles. A custom-shaped window can help transform your home into the way you want your space to look and feel. A custom window marries function and aesthetic appeal to give your home a home that is unique to you. Different shapes, materials, colors and textures are all elements that contribute to a one-of-a-kind window. Read on for insight on the different types of window shapes for every space.
Key takeaways for custom windows:
- The shape options for custom windows are endless. When you think beyond rectangles or squares, geometric shapes for window designs are plentiful.
- Custom windows come in various materials to suit your window needs, such as wood, steel, aluminum and fiberglass.
- Unique window grid patterns are eye-catching and add a beautifully decorative element to a window.
- Custom window colors can offer additional interest to a custom window and make an unexpected design element.
- Decorative glass can change the texture of the window, which offers both aesthetic value and privacy.
Custom window shapes
The shape options for custom windows are endless. When you think beyond rectangles or squares, the geometric shapes for window designs are plentiful. There is a wide variety to choose from ovals, circles, pentagons, hexagons, triangles, trapezoids, and many other abstract shapes. Additional custom-shaped window options include round top, eyebrow, half ellipse, and full round window shapes. Beyond the aesthetic value a custom-shaped window offers, its highly functional, focusing on adequate ventilation, airflow and sunlight. A custom-shaped window works as well in a contemporary space as it does in a rustic or traditional home.
Custom-shaped windows give a house unique character and distinctive personality due to their one-of-a-kind shape. While some homes require a custom-shaped window due to unique architectural elements, other homes are aesthetically enhanced by a custom window’s unique shape. A custom-shaped window can add character to a room devoid of personality. However, it also works exceptionally well in small spaces, such as a powder bathroom or butler’s pantry.
Below are some of the benefits of a custom-shaped window:
- Fits perfectly into a unique or challenging area of the house
- Adds character to a house
- Comes in many styles, shapes and materials
- Unique hardware can further enhance the design
- Are handcrafted unique to your home
Custom window materials
Like any window, custom windows come in a variety of materials. The most common window materials are:
- Wood with fiberglass
Custom design patterns
Window grilles in unique patterns can an additional layer of interest to a custom-shaped window. Unique window grid patterns are eye-catching and add a beautifully decorative element to a window. A custom-shaped window with a custom grille or multiple divided lite patterns can be adhered to both sides of the window to create a stunning aesthetic look and enhance durability. Below are possible window grid options:
- Authentic Divided Lite (ADL): An ADL results in a traditional look by creating patterns in glider windows that are permanently applied with a spacer between the glass.
- Simulated Divided Lite (SDL): An SDL gives the appearance of an ADL, in a modern and energy-efficient way.
- Grilles between the glass: Custom windows that have the grilles between the glass result in a window that’s easier to clean, and eliminates the build-up of dirt and dust. This is a streamlined window style that complements different custom window shapes.
Custom window colors
Custom window colors can make a bold design statement. A custom color can offer additional interest to a custom window and an unexpected design element. A custom window in a bold color creates an instant focal point
Custom window textures
If you prefer a traditional type of glass, single pane, double pane and low-E coating, which is specially designed to take advantage of the angle of the winter and summer sun, are options. However, decorative glass can change the texture of the window, which offers both aesthetic value and privacy.
Below are common types of glass you can add to your custom window:
- Glue chip
AVI Windows & Doors
Turn to a professional for a full-service approach to windows and to select your custom windows by contacting the experts at AVI. AVI is your one-stop-shop for all types of custom windows to suit your taste, with in-person and online service options. Please don’t hesitate to contact us online or come by one of our Southeast locations and let us help you!