Replacing Casement Windows with Double Hung Windows
By: Architectural Visions
If you are looking to replace your existing windows and you have wondered, “can you replace casement windows with double hung windows,” the answer is yes, it is possible. Whether you want to replace your casement windows with double hung windows, or vice versa, the frame’s structure is the same. Casement windows can be more challenging to remove, but a double hung window can be easily installed once the casement window is removed. Read on to learn more about replacing your windows.
- It is possible to replace your casement windows with double hung windows
- Measuring correctly is key to ensuring a smooth installation
- Remove old materials before installing the new window
- Consider the pros and cons of the mechanics of each window
The process of replacing a casement window with a double hung window
If you’re ready to replace your casement windows, AVI will take the following steps to ensure the smoothest installation.
- An AVI window replacement consultant will measure the existing window to identify the best double hung option for you.
- An AVI installation expert will remove the old window, assess the condition of the rough opening and identify the best installation solution.
- The AVI installation expert will properly balance the window, align it properly, insulate the surrounding area and install the double hung window.
- All moulding, trim and exterior siding will be complete and you will have a new window.
Window Replacement Pros and Cons
Casement windows and double hung windows have their own sets of pros and cons to consider before you replace one with the other. Below outlines the pros and cons of replacing your casement windows with double hung windows, and vice versa.
- Casement window:
- Easy to operate
- Breeze comes directly into the home
- Double hung window
- Safe for children because of the closed lower sash
- Easy to clean
- Casement window:
- Wind can tear sash away and cause damage
- More expensive because of the more complex mechanics
- Subject to excessive wear on the crank hardware
- Double hung window:
- Cannot open window to select angle to steer a gentle breeze into the home
- Depending on the height of the window, the locking mechanism can be difficult to reach
Seamlessly replace your casement windows or double hung windows by contacting the experts at AVI. AVI is your one-stop shop to browse, select, and install your next aluminum or fiberglass door or window with both in-person and online service options. Please don’t hesitate to contact us online or come by one of our Southeast locations and let us help you!
Interested in learning more?
- Your Guide to Double Hung Windows
- Casement Windows
- Double Hung vs. Casement Windows: Which One Is Right for You?