What Does Your Front Door Say About You?
By: Architectural Visions
Your front door is your home’s first impression, as it’s the first home feature guests and friends see when they arrive at your home or pass by. However, it’s more than a simple entryway — it offers a preview of your home’s décor style and provides safety and security. The right front door will complement your home’s architectural style, meet your functional requirements and appeal to you from an aesthetic standpoint. Investing in a high-quality front door will pay off, as it’s a home feature that will last many years. If you’re trying to narrow in on your personal aesthetic or want to find the door that complements your home the best, read on for common types of door designs, widely selected materials and what your front door says about you.
Key takeaways about what your front door says about you:
- Front doors come in many different styles to align with your home’s architectural style, such as traditional, modern, craftsman, rustic and more.
- Front doors come in various styles, materials, shapes and functions and have a wide range of features to make them custom to you.
- When selecting a front door, you can choose from various materials, such as wood, steel, aluminum, or fiberglass.
- Front doors often come in various styles, such as wood raised panels, stained glass, fiberglass with sidelights and more.
- To further elevate your home’s front door style, a variety of hardware options, a broad palette of colors and a custom shape can make a stunning first impression.
Front door design styles
Front doors come in many styles to align with your home’s architectural style. Below are some of the most common front door styles you may gravitate to when selecting a new door design.
A traditional front door is a classic, timeless selection. While traditional style typically complements the details of older homes, you can also layer it into newer construction. A traditional front door may be complemented by detailed mouldings and timeless hardware selections, such as polished nickel or antique brass.
While modern is best known for being sleek and sophisticated, it can also have a welcoming warmth. Modern design is centered around a less is more approach — simplicity, clean lines and minimal patterns.
A craftsman-style door is typically found on a craftsman-style home, with a large, covered front porch, tapered columns and exterior wood trim. This type of door is often earth-tone with subtle patterns and may feature stained glass. This style of home can resemble a bungalow.
A rustic door can indicate an inviting, comfortable and relaxed environment. A rustic door may appear aged, organic, distressed and natural. This type of door may lend the feeling of a warm and welcoming home.
An arched front door is a style rich with history. Arched doorways are as appropriate in new construction as in early Roman times when they were first incorporated in architecture. An arched door may indicate a Tuscan, French country or Mediterranean-style home.
Front door materials and design selections
Front doors come in a wide variety of styles, materials, shapes and functions and have a wide range of features to make them custom to you. This will ensure your front door will:
- Increase your home’s safety and security
- Withstand all weather conditions
- Make a stunning first impression
When selecting a front door, you have the option of choosing from a variety of materials. These materials include:
In addition to different materials, front doors also come in various styles. Some favorite styles include:
- Traditional wood raised panel
- Stained glass
- Fiberglass with sidelights
- Split door
Designing a unique front door can further elevate your home’s exterior design. Below are some ways you can design a front door that is uniquely you:
- Select from a variety of hardware options to complement your home style
- Choose from a broad palette of colors to match your home’s exterior and interior color scheme
- Choose a classic rectangular shape or a more decorative arched top door.
AVI Windows & Doors
Turn to a professional to help you install a new front door by contacting the experts at AVI. AVI is your one-stop-shop for all types of doors, with in-person and online service options. Please don’t hesitate to contact us online or come by one of our Southeast locations and let us help you!