Bi-Fold vs. Sliding Doors: Which One Is Best For Your Home?
By: Architectural Visions
Exterior scenic doors are not one size fits all. Scenic doors offer expansive, panoramic views and can bring the outdoors into your home with a beautiful mix of inside and outside spaces. When you’re considering scenic doors that will help you bring the outside in, assessing the differences between bi-fold and sliding doors and weighing their pros and cons will help you select the best doors for your home. If you’re ready to install new doors, read on to assess whether bi-fold or sliding doors are the best choice for your house.
Key takeaways for bi-fold vs. sliding doors:
- Scenic doors can marry the inside and outside by bringing expansive panoramic views into your home.
- Bi-fold doors do an excellent job at bringing the outdoors in.
- Bi-fold doors can be folded almost entirely, which can open up an entire wall to your outdoor space, such as patio and garden.
- Sliding doors are typically made of two or more large panes of glass that slide open and closed.
- Sliding doors can help you better control the amount of air that enters or exits your home and they may let in more natural light and offer less obstructed views.
About scenic doors
Whether you want easy access to your patio, enjoy the views of your garden, or make a statement by highlighting your backyard lake or mountain views, scenic doors, such as bi-fold or sliding doors, can make a maximum impact. Scenic doors provide considerable aesthetic value, durability, and energy-efficient.
Below are some of the benefits of scenic doors:
- Connect the inside and outside
- Offer panoramic views
- Come in a variety of styles, so you can select the option that is best for your home’s architectural style and your personal aesthetic
- Energy-efficient and easy to operate
Bi-fold doors do an excellent job at bringing the outdoors in, which is an advantage if you are installing them in an area of your home that faces the backyard, patio or if you have a unique exterior view, such as a body of water or mountains. Bi-fold doors are made of a series of panels that fold into themselves. The panels are connected by hinges and run along a track. Bi-fold doors, are available in a variety of materials, such as wood, aluminum or fiberglass, and you can select from an assortment of different colors, hardware, dividers and other unique details.
Pros of bi-fold doors
- Bi-fold doors can be folded almost entirely, opening up an entire wall to your outdoor space, such as patio and garden. This results in seamless indoor-outdoor living.
- Bi-fold doors are installed flush to the ground and you don’t typically have to step over a door frame to enter and exit the house.
Cons of bi-fold doors
- Bi-fold doors require ample interior space for the panels to fold into themselves.
- Bi-fold doors don’t always offer the same level of unobstructed views that sliding doors offer, because of the multiple panels.
Sliding doors are typically made of two or more large panes of glass. These panes slide sideways to open and close. Sliding doors come in a variety of styles, such as sliding French doors or a lift and slide design. Like bi-fold doors, sliding doors come in a variety of materials, such as wood, aluminum or fiberglass, colors, hardware, dividers and other unique details.
Pros of sliding doors
- Sliding doors can help you better control the air that enters or exits your home, as you can open them a few inches or all the way.
- Sliding doors may let in more natural light and offer less obstructed views, as they typically have fewer panels and larger pieces of glass.
Cons of sliding doors
- Sliding doors sit on a track, so it’s essential to be aware of the track as you step in and outside of the house. This is also a consideration if you have a family member or frequent guest who uses a wheelchair or walker.
- Because of the expanse of glass on a sliding door, they may get dirtier, faster than a bi-fold door.
AVI Windows & Doors
Turn to a professional to help you install scenic doors by contacting the experts at AVI. AVI is your one-stop shop for all types of windows, with in-person and online service options. Please don’t hesitate to contact us online or come by one of our Southeast locations and let us help you!